Why have Ashkenazic Jews always conversed in Yiddish?

What do we light first? Chanukah candles or Shabbat candles?

Library » Shabbat » Forbidden Activities | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Mrs. Esty Davidson: Welcome! I'll be with you in a moment...

menorahman: do we light Shabbat candles or Chanukah candles first?

Mrs. Esty Davidson: hi

Mrs. Esty Davidson: first chanukah candles

menorahman: thanks. couldn't find it on the site

Mrs. Esty Davidson: because shabbat candles usher the shabbat in and we may not light a flame on shabbat

menorahman: but if my wife lights the shabbat candles that brings in shabbat for me too?

Mrs. Esty Davidson: it brings it in for her, however, your chanukah candles are for her too

menorahman ok, thanks

menorahman: good shabbat

Mrs. Esty Davidson: you're welcome

menorahman: and chag sameach

Mrs. Esty Davidson: on motzei shabbat [Ed. Saturday night]

Mrs. Esty Davidson: it's Havdallah first and then the Menorah candles

Mrs. Esty Davidson: same logic

menorahman: for the same reason right?

Mrs. Esty Davidson: yes

menorahman: while it's still shabbat you can't light the menorah candles?

Mrs. Esty Davidson: right

menorahman: but hold on, don't you make havdallah in the Amidah prayer

Mrs. Esty Davidson: yes, but you're still not supposed to do proper work before havdallah

Mrs. Esty Davidson: it's better to do laundry after havdallah, for example

menorahman: lol, ok, i'll bear that in mind :-)

Mrs. Esty Davidson: :)

Holidays » Chanukah
Shabbat » Candle Lighting
Women & Judaism » Women's Mitzvot » Candle Lighting
Holidays » Chanukah » The Laws

Chanukah
An eight day mid-winter holiday marking: 1) The miraculous defeat of the mighty Syrian-Greek armies by the undermanned Maccabis in the year 140 BCE. 2) Upon their victory, the oil in the Menorah, sufficient fuel for one night only, burned for eight days and nights.
Amidah
Highlight of every prayer, recited silently while standing. Weekday Amidah consists of nineteen blessings, Sabbath and holiday Amidah contains seven blessings.
Havdallah
Prayer signifying the end of the Sabbath or Jewish holiday. This "separation" prayer is recited after nightfall over a cup of wine.
Menorah
Candelabra. Usually a reference to the nine-branched candelabra kindled on the holiday of Chanukah.