Why do we extinguish the havdalah candle with wine from the havdalah cup?

Can I keep money that I found on Shabbat?

by Rabbi Simcha Bart

Library » Shabbat » Forbidden Activities | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

I know that you're not supposed to carry money on Shabbat. But what if you are out walking and see $20 lying on the sidewalk? Can you pick it up? Or are you allowed to pick it up only if you give the money to charity?

Answer:

The beauty of Torah is that it's directives apply under all circumstances (unless Torah itself tells you that it doesn't).

Could you imagine teaching a child not to steal, and he asked, "How about if it would make me really, really rich if I were to steal just this one time? Not only that, I would give a big percentage to charity!?"

Obviously, the answer would be that you are not allowed to steal anyway.

How about Kosher? If a non-Kosher food is really delicious - can I eat it?

The same here - since a person may not carry money on Shabbat, then it doesn't matter how much, or what he will do afterwards with the money.