Why does a pregnant woman take more then one chicken for Kaparot?

I save lives -- working as an intensive care nurse. Can I work on the Shabbat?

by Rabbi Shalom Hazan

Library » Shabbat » Forbidden Activities | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Although you are in the business of saving lives, many people are in that business without working seven days a week. (I'm not talking about being on emergency call here.) What I'm saying is, I do not necessarily see this as a moral/ethical dilemma -- since it is technically possible to work at such as job without working on Shabbat. In other words, it is really part of the universal "should I work on Shabbat or sacrifice my job" dilemma.

The "right" thing to do from the Jewish point of view is to try to find other arrangements. Does your boss know what Shabbat means to us? Are you ready to work a different day instead of Shabbat? If there is no way out, maybe there is a different (better?) job offer for you out there (as a nurse, of course)? Who knows? It may all be for your good...

Can a military member work on shabbat?

Posted by: Daniel K., Denver, CO on Jan 14, 2006

If your military job saves the lives of soldiers and you’re ordered in on shabbes is it still a sin?

All the laws of the Torah -- with the exception of the prohibitions against idolatry, sexual misconduct, and murder -- are suspended when human life is in danger. Following this rule, a soldier is allowed to -- and must -- participate in any and all necessary military operations on Shabbat.

Miscellaneous » Health Issues » Medical Ethics