How and when do I burn my Chametz?

Is it appropriate to make a Shivah visit on Shabbat?

Library » Shabbat » Forbidden Activities | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Shabbat is a day designated for joy and pleasure, a day when we do not focus on mourning. In fact, Shivah is almost completely suspended in honor of Shabbat, with all public displays of mourning forbidden for the duration of the day.

For this reason, it is customary to refrain from making shivah calls on Shabbat.1

• 1. This is not to say that in the course of conversation one cannot acknowledge the mourner's loss on Shabbat. In fact, ignoring the subject may cause the mourner anguish -- which certainly isn't a desired emotion for Shabbat.

Life Cycle » Death » Mourning