What are the spiritual ramifications of intimacy?

Rabbi Jacobson discusses various naming issues

Library » Life Cycle » Birth » Jewish names | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Jacobson: Welcome to askmoses. How can I be of help today?

Fiona: Hello Rabbi. I am due to have a baby boy in February. I would like to give him a middle hebrew name after my grandfather, Feivel. I am also named after him (Feige), Is this ok?

Rabbi Jacobson: Feivel & Feige are different names & u can name him Feivel & have a lot of nachas from him

Fiona: One more question: I would like to give him the first hebrew name after my grandmothers husband she married again after my biological grandfather passed away. So he would be Yaakov Feivel. Is this also ok, to name after two people? I would love to honor him as well, he was very good to us. Thank you rabbi

Rabbi Jacobson: yes

Rabbi Jacobson: u can name the baby after 2 (or more) people

Fiona: Thank you. What a wonderful service this is. One more question, if I may. Is the Pidyon Haben considered a "must" as far as rituals surrounding a first born boy's birth. I am not very observant, so it seems a bit alien to me. I am trying to learn more. thank you!

Rabbi Jacobson: yes it is a Mitzvah written in the Torah its a beautiful event, the baby is dressed in nice clothing, surrounded by jewelry

Rabbi Jacobson: & its a must to do it

Rabbi Jacobson: (there are certain circumstances where no pidyon haben is needed, such as if the baby is born via C section. consult with your rabbi before planning the party)

Fiona: Thank you Rabbi for all of your help. Good bye.

Fiona: Ok, I will have this ceremony! Thanks.

Rabbi Jacobson: Have an easy birth, and only goog news!

Life Cycle » Circumcision » Jewish names

Pidyon Haben
Literally: "Redemption of the Son." Firstborn sons born to an Israelite father and mother must be redeemed on the 31st day after birth. At this ceremony, the father gives the equivalent if five silver shekels to a Priest.