Is a "double ring" wedding ceremony okay?

Having a Jewish Name

Library » Life Cycle » Birth » Jewish names | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Mandy: i wasn't given a hebrew name at birth, but i've been studying Genesis, and my study partner was telling me about how Abram couldn't have children until he had his name changed, and then she said when people get sick they get a new hebrew name

Mandy: i was wondering, if i should have one... it seems like its pretty important

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: you should definately get a Hebrew name. Who did your Brit?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: sorry... you said birth, I thought you said brit :)

Mandy: well i'm female, so no one

Mandy: ha ha, no

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: you should definately get a Jewish name -- you can chose one yourself. it can be after someone yhou love, or something similar to your name now, or any name you feel is beffiting to you, and speak to your local Chabad rabbi about a naming ceremony

Mandy: there's an actual ceremony? what's the significance of having a hebrew name?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: there is a ceremony when they give you the name while the Torah scroll is out, and there is a special name giving prayer

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: the Hebrew name is a reflection of the energy flow to your soul

Mandy: so why is it given when people get sick?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: a Hebrew name is always given to every Jewish child - either at birth, or when they realize they never got one. Some times when someone is sick another Hebrew name is added, one that means life or blessing etc., in order to add the energy flow of life or blessing

Mandy: ok, great. I'll talk to my Rabbi then, thanks for your help!

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: all the best and let me the first to wish you Mazal Tov :-)

Mandy: thanks!!!!! ;o)

[Ed. note: also read "I'm a Jewish male without a Jewish name. How do I get one?"]

Life Cycle » Circumcision » Jewish names

Brit
[Lit. Covenant] Circumcision. The act of removing ones foreskin 8 days after birth, perpetuating a covenant with G-d originally established by the Patriarch Abraham.
Genesis
The first book of the Five Books of Moses. It records the story of Creation and its aftermath, and chronicles the lives of the Patriarchs.