Is a Kohen allowed to be in the same room as a gentile corpse?

Child naming and customs practiced during labor

Library » Life Cycle » Birth » Jewish names | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Mrs. Rochel Loewenthal: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...

Expecting: Hi. I am due to have a baby any day and my husband and I are having discussions about the traditions and customs of what to do re naming the child.

Expecting: I thought that you are not meant to tell the name of the boy until his Brit?

Mrs. Rochel Loewenthal: traditionally

Expecting: Is it that you only tell the hebrew name at the brit or is it the english name as well? Also, does this include close family?

Mrs. Rochel Loewenthal: it is tradition not to tell the jewish name til the brit

Expecting: So - you can tell the english name before?

Mrs. Rochel Loewenthal: I wouldn't think that to be a problem

Expecting: Thank you. Are there any specific traditions regarding a girl?

Mrs. Rochel Loewenthal: yes

Mrs. Rochel Loewenthal: the idea is to name her during Torah reading, as close to the birth as possible

Expecting: So again, do you keep the name to yourself until Shul?

Mrs. Rochel Loewenthal: yes

Mrs. Rochel Loewenthal: and traditionally to make a Kiddush for her

Expecting: Thank you. Is there anything else I need to know? Or do?

Mrs. Rochel Loewenthal: sleep alot now!

Mrs. Rochel Loewenthal: :-)

Expectingt: I am trying!

Mrs. Rochel Loewenthal: during labor, say some Tehillim and give Tzedakah

Mrs. Rochel Loewenthal: along with your husband

Expecting: I have a book of the tehillim to say. When do I give tzedakah? Before the delivery or after? To any charity or just my choice?

Mrs. Rochel Loewenthal: any charity, and anytime during labor

Expectingt: wow. Another thing to sort out.

Mrs. Rochel Loewenthal: during actual delivery, maybe have ur husband say the tehillim, and u concentrate on the baby

Expecting: ok

Mrs. Rochel Loewenthal: :-)

Expectingt: Thank you for your help. I will leave you to your family now.

Mrs. Rochel Loewenthal: best of luck

Mrs. Rochel Loewenthal: it should be easy!

Expecting: I hope so.

[Ed. note: Also read "Are there certain prayers recited during and after birth?"]

Life Cycle » Circumcision » Jewish names
Life Cycle » Birth » The Laws

Tzedakah
"Tzedakah," commonly translated as charity, literally means righteousness, or the right thing to do. Giving to those in need is one of the most important of G-d's commandments.
Kiddush
Prayer recited at the beginning of the Sabbath or Holiday meal--both the evening and afternoon meals. This prayer, acknowledging the sanctity of the day, is recited over a cup of wine or grape juice.
Shul
(Yiddish) Synagogue.
Brit
[Lit. Covenant] Circumcision. The act of removing ones foreskin 8 days after birth, perpetuating a covenant with G-d originally established by the Patriarch Abraham.
Tehillim
The Book of Psalms. One of the 24 books of the Bible. Compiled by King David; mostly comprised of poetic praise for G-d. A large part of our prayers are culled from this book.