What is the Western Wall?

Why is a baby's name given in the synagogue?

Library » Life Cycle » Birth » Jewish names | Subscribe | What is RSS?

David: why wait to name a baby in the Temple

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: what do you mean

David: My employers daughter gave birth last night to a baby girl, but the babys name will not be revealed till tomorrow morning. Why??

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: i see

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: well firstly, Mazal Tov

David: Yes, Mazel Tov to all of them

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: to answer your question, it is because the baby's name is a holy thing and is connected with the charactaristics of the soul - it is therefore given at a special ceremony during the reading of the Torah in a synagogue

David: How is the baby's name connected to a reading of the Torah? A name is personal. How does the Torah affect the babys name to that baby

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: The reading of the Torah is a holy time, and the synagogue is a holy place. Therefore when we do something as awesome as assigning a name to a soul we wish to do it in the proper awesome environment (rather than just fillling out a form on some desk in a hospital office)

David: As you can probably see, I am a non Jew, but would like to understand my employers way of life. The daughter and son in law will not utter the name they have chosen.

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: that is correct. they will not refer to the baby by this name, until they have officially and properly assigned this name to this soul

David: You have answered my question. Again Mazal Tov to all involved. She ia a beautiful princess.

Life Cycle » Circumcision » Jewish names

David
King of Israel who succeeded Saul, becoming king of Israel in 876 BCE. Originally a shepherd, he became popular after he killed the Philistine strongman, Goliath. He is the progenitor of the Davidic royal dynasty -- which will return to the throne with the arrival of King Messiah.