How will life be after the Resurrection?

Is there any significance in giving a kiddush cup as a wedding gift?

Library » Intimacy » Marriage | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Gurkow: Welcome to the Rabbi's one on one chat room, how can I help you today?

Flora: Meaning of the giving of the kiddish cup at a wedding

Rabbi Gurkow: giving as in a gift?

Flora: Yes as the Mother of the groom I want to say something of value about our heritage of Rabbis, and give the lovely silver cup..am at a loss. Need help.

Rabbi Gurkow: ok, I will try to help:-)

Rabbi Gurkow: first I need to understand

Rabbi Gurkow: when you ask about this Kiddush cup gift, are you thinking that it is a tradition for the groom's mother to gift the couple a kiddush cup or is this your personal preference?

Flora: ask me anything...We are from the family xxxxxxxx in xxxxx and are in the Jewish Encyclopedia. Is is appropriate to mention this? It is my personal preference to give it.

Rabbi Gurkow: ok I understand

Rabbi Gurkow: it is appropriate to mention your family pedigree

Rabbi Gurkow: I would however add, (and this is a personal opinion)

Rabbi Gurkow: that you should speak not only of your family's glorious religious past, but also of your present and future

Rabbi Gurkow: past is in the past, it is the present and future that matters most

Rabbi Gurkow: they say that a good ancestry is like zeros on a check, you can have many zeros but they are meaningless til you fill in the first number

Rabbi Gurkow: right?

Rabbi Gurkow: we are that first number, our ancestry fills the zeros in after the first number which is us

Rabbi Gurkow: that itself is a nice thought to share -- saying to your children that you wish for them to be worthy successors to their illustrious family

Rabbi Gurkow: as far as the cup goes...

Rabbi Gurkow: the cup is for Shabbat

Rabbi Gurkow: and shabbat is the symbolic wedding date between the Jewish people and G-d as the Torah was given on shabbat

Rabbi Gurkow: shabbat is also the bride of the Jewish people

Rabbi Gurkow: as such you offfer a kiddush cup to bring blessing and sanctification to their marriage, a home filled with the warmth and light of torah

Rabbi Gurkow: and may it be a reflection of the marriage between the Jewish people and Hashem

Flora: What can I say Rabbi Gurkow...You have helped me enourmously. I thank you from my heart and soul.

Rabbi Gurkow: you are welcome

Flora: Blessings to you and yours.

Life Cycle » Marriage » The Wedding

Kiddush
Prayer recited at the beginning of the Sabbath or Holiday meal--both the evening and afternoon meals. This prayer, acknowledging the sanctity of the day, is recited over a cup of wine or grape juice.
Hashem
"The Name." Out of respect, we do not explicitly mention G-d's name, unless in the course of prayer. Instead, "Hashem" is substituted.