Is it sensible to have children if it's beyond the parents' financial means?

Why is it forbidden to be intimate with a niddah?

Library » Intimacy » Marriage | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Maria: hi, whats the reason that a women in Niddah is forbidden to her husband?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: The Torah forbids it1

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: The Talmud says something interesting about this: It is natural that when someone has something all the time, no matter how precious, they get bored of it. So G-d in his wisdom forbade a man to be with his wife (and vice versa) for a period of time every month so they would never get bored of each other, and the husband should be excited about his wife as on the day of the Chupah!

Maria: ok thank you

• 1. Leviticus 18:19

Intimacy

Posted by: Anonymous on Aug 22, 2005

I understand that when a woman is menstruating, there is no intimacy. Does this mean a man and woman must also be in separate beds? What are the orthodox rules regarding this?

thank you

That is correct. During the days of menstruation, and up until the woman immerses in the Mikvah, the couple sleeps in separate beds.

Niddah

Posted by: Miriam, Brooklyn, New York on Aug 29, 2006

In the non-jewish world when there are plenty of couples with wonderful marriages that are alway intimate with each other and dont get bored. This concept of the Torah saying if you have too much of the same thing you can get bored is a little difficult for me to swallow because you can have Jewish couples that are always with each other (i.e. the woman is always having babies and then nursing clean-do they get bored of each other-they might or might not). So I beg to differ with your reply.

This is a pretty clear case of the "grass being greener on the other side"! The statistics speak pretty clear regarding where you will find the stronger marriages. Exceptions always exist, but the statistics say the larger story.

Intimacy » Sexual Issues
Life Cycle » Marriage » Family Purity » The Benefits

Chupah
Wedding canopy. Under this canopy, the groom betroths the bride with the customary ring, and the traditional marriage benedictions are recited.
Niddah
A menstruating woman. A niddah may not have intimate relations with her husband until she immerses in a ritual pool of water.