Why should I study Torah?

What is the Jewish name equivalent (if any) of Raymond?

by Rabbi Moshe Miller

Library » Mitzvot » Circumcision | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Not always are there direct correspondences between Jewish names and secular names. The name Raymond (from Old German and Old English), means "protector." There is no Jewish equivalent with this meaning, as far as I know. People often choose a name based on a corresponding first letter.
However, Jewish texts do speak about G-d as the Protector of Abraham (Avraham in Hebrew), and about the Shield (Protector) of David.
A Jewish name is given to a boy at the time of his circumcision, so if you are looking for a Jewish name for an adult, you should first make sure that no name was given at the time of circumcision.

Jewish Name for Raymond

Posted by: Chaim Borevitz, Brooklyin, NY on Nov 22, 2006

If Raymond implies protection as mentioned in teh Rabbi's response, then Sh'maryahu meaning Hashem protects him may be relevant. The yiddish (or cute) version would be Shmerel.

You are correct as far as the interpretation of the names go. However, in common practice, the name "Shmaryahu" does not normally relace Raymond (from what I've heard).

Life Cycle » Birth » Jewish names
Life Cycle » Circumcision » Jewish names

First Jew, and first of our three Patriarchs. Born into a pagan society in Mesepotamia in 1812 BCE, he discovered monethieism on his own. He was told by G-d to journey to the Land of Canaan where he and his wife Sarah would give birth to the Jewish People.
King of Israel who succeeded Saul, becoming king of Israel in 876 BCE. Originally a shepherd, he became popular after he killed the Philistine strongman, Goliath. He is the progenitor of the Davidic royal dynasty -- which will return to the throne with the arrival of King Messiah.