I offended a friend and asked her forgiveness several times, but she refuses. What do I do now?

Is there a halachic problem with leaving finger-nails on the floor?

by Mrs. Bronya Shaffer

Library » Miscellaneous | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Robert: My wife says there is some Halachic problem of nails (as in finger and toes) on the floor. Do you know anything about this?

Mrs. Shaffer: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...

Robert: Hello

Mrs. Shaffer: hello, Robert, how can I help you?:)

Robert: I hope this doesn’t sound too weird…my wife says there is some halachic problem of nails (as in finger and toes) on the floor. Do you know anything about this?

Mrs. Shaffer: Well… generally one is careful about discarding nails :) There is a discussion in the Talmud (Nidah 17a) about the nails being potentially harmful to an unborn baby… were a pregnant woman to step on discarded nails, it might bring harm to her baby. The Shulchan Aruch (Code of Jewish Law) requires that we either burn or bury our nails. Which means, of course, that they can be flushed down a drain.

Robert: So, this is common practice then for someone observant?

Mrs. Shaffer: Yes.

Robert: Ok. Thank you very much.

The following conversation: My comment is at the end :)

Posted by: Jack Everhart, Pinnacle, NC / USA on Nov 25, 2004

No one likes stepping on them either :)
Halachic
Pertaining to Jewish Law.