Is there spiritual significance to the Jews making bricks in Egypt?

After centuries of waiting for Moshiach how can I believe he is still coming soon?

by Mrs. Dinka Kumer

Library » Philosophy » Messiah | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

I find it difficult to have faith that Moshiach will come because so many generations he was promised, and he did not come, so unfortunately the likelihood that he will come in our generation cannot logically be that high. Why have high expectations and then be dissapointed again ?

I don't want to be negative or pessimistic of course; I hope the Rebbe was right with his prediction about Moshiach, but so many years have passed already and there is simply no canditate arround.

Thanks a lot for your explanation, Shimmy

Answer:

Perhaps an analogy would help:

A pregnant woman's due date passes, so she becomes officially overdue. The doctors examine her and the fetus, and everything indicates that birth is imminent. A day goes by and then another and then another. No labor, and no birth yet. A couple more days of waiting go by, and still nothing happening. Yet, as each day passes, the likelihood of giving birth gets bigger since she is increasingly overdue.

Once a few contractions start and labor begins, then the woman knows it simply a matter of hours till she will have her baby. The imminence of birth grows with every minutes and every contraction.

The redemption has been likened to birth.1 The Lubavitcher Rebbe stated that the redemption is 'overdue'; all the possible 'due dates' have passed already. The struggles of our era are called the 'birthpangs' of Moshiach. So in fact, with each passing day and even minute, we are getting closer and closer to the birth of the redemption.

May we greet Moshiach now!

• 1. See Micha 5:2 and commentaries there. See also Talmud tractate Sanhedrin 98b

Israel » Messiah

Moshiach
The Messiah. Moshiach is the person who will usher in an era of peace and tranquility for all of humanity when there will be no jealousy or hate, wars or famine. This is a fundamental Jewish belief.
Lubavitcher
One who follows the teachings of the Chassidic group which was formerly based in the Belarus village of Lubavitch. Today, the movement is based in Brooklyn, New York with branches worldwide. The Lubavitch movement is also widely known as "Chabad."