Why do we pour wine out of the cup at the Seder?

How can we bless G-d for "commanding" us to observe Rabbinic commandments?

Library » Mitzvot » Blessings | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: Welcome to the Rabbi's one on one chat room, how can I help you today?

Shira: why so we say _asher kidshanu bemitsvotav_1 while lighting sabbath candles?

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: is the basis of your question that Shabbat candles are a rabbinical commandment?

Shira: yes

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: the Torah commands us to obey the rabbis and as such it commands us to light shabbos candles because that is what the rabbis told us to do

Shira: ok what kind of rabbis

Shira: we have many rabbis today that say different things

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: we are talking about the Sanhedrin whose rulings were accepted by all Jews2

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: with regards to shabbat candles we are talking about rabbis in the days of King Solomon

Shira: wow is this tradition that old?

Shira: i thought it came sometime about 2000 yrs ago

Shira: so a man & his wife won't fight during the sabbath meal

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: it is that old

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: but it is greater than not fighting during the meal

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: that is a simplification of a larger issue

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: it is so that there will be light in the home which will bring peace to the home

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: peace is not the absence of quarrel, peace is an intangible value all of its own

Shira: thank you for your answer

Shira: I appreciate your help

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: Thank you for visiting Ask Moses today and I invite you to come back at any time

• 1. "He who has sanctified us with His commandments..."
  • 2. See Deuteronomy 17:8-13.

Shabbat » Candle Lighting
Women & Judaism » Women's Mitzvot » Candle Lighting

Sanhedrin
The Jewish Supreme Court. The court would convene in a designated chamber in the Holy Temple, and was comprised of 71 of the greatest scholars of the time. Continued after the destruction of the Temples, but was dissolved in the 5th century when due to Roman persecution the seat of Torah scholarship relocated from Israel to Babylon.
Solomon
Son of King David, and succeeded him on the throne of Israel in the year 836 BCE. he was the wisest man to ever live. He built the first Holy Temple and authored several books of the Bible.