Do I have to listen to G-d? Why can't I do whatever I want to?

Why don't we say the blessing Shehecheyanu on the matzah?

by Rabbi Yossi Marcus

Library » Mitzvot » Blessings | Subscribe | What is RSS?

[Shehecheyanu is a blessing that is recited whenever a Mitzvah is performed for the first time each year or when a fruit is eaten for the first time each season or when you get a new suit that you’re really excited about (and other times). The blessing expresses thanks to G-d for sustaining us and bringing us to this day.]

Here are two answers:1

1. We eat the Matzah immediately after the Maggid (reading the Haggadah) part of the Seder, which concludes with a blessing very similar in theme to the Shehecheyanu: “Blessed are You G-d...who brought us to this night, during which we will eat matzah and Maror...”

2. The Shehecheyanu that we say in Kiddush covers the matzah as well.2

• 1. Avudraham
  • 2. The second answer is a bit problematic, since we would then have to keep the matzah in mind while saying the Shehecheyanu during kiddush [yet we find no reference to such a requirement]. In fact, the same idea is used regarding the Shehecheyanu said before reading the Megillah on Purim, namely, that one must keep in mind the other mitzvot of the day—Shalach Manot and Matanot l’evyonim—while saying or hearing the Shehecheyanu on the Megilah. — The Rebbe’s Haggadah

Holidays » Passover » Seder » The Matzah

Matzah
(pl. Matzot). Unleavened bread which is eaten on Passover, especially at the Passover Seder (feast), commemorating the Matzah which the Jews ate upon leaving Egypt. It consists of only flour and water and resembles a wheat cracker.
Shehecheyanu
A blessing recited on joyous occasions. The blessing thanks G-d for "sustaining us and enabling us to reach this occasion."
Kiddush
Prayer recited at the beginning of the Sabbath or Holiday meal--both the evening and afternoon meals. This prayer, acknowledging the sanctity of the day, is recited over a cup of wine or grape juice.
Haggadah
Text read at the Passover Eve feasts. The Haggadah recounts in great detail the story of our Exodus from Egypt.
Seder
Festive meal eaten on the first two nights of the holiday of Passover (In Israel, the Seder is observed only the first night of the holiday). Seder highlights include: reading the story of the Exodus, eating Matzah and bitter herbs, and drinking four cups of wine.
Maror
Bitter herbs consumed at the Passover Seder, commemorating how the Egyptians embittered the lives of our ancestors.