Can I give anything (like clothes or CDs) for Mishloach Manot?

What is the origin of the obligation to recite blessings?

Library » Mitzvot » Blessings | Subscribe | What is RSS?

The Torah only requires one to recite a blessing AFTER eating a meal and being satiated (Deuteronomy 8:10). All other blessings are of rabbinic origin.

Additionally, the Torah obligation only applies if the satiating meal included bread or another product which contains wheat, barley, oats, spelt or rye.

Deuteronomy
The fifth of the Five Books of Moses. This book is a record of the monologue which Moses spoke to the Israelites in the five weeks prior to his passing.