How do I wash Mayim Acharonim?

Why is there no blessing for giving charity?

by Rabbi Yossi Marcus

Library » Mitzvot » Blessings | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Well if you’re putting charity into a charity box, you wouldn’t say a blessing because the Mitzvah is not complete until the poor person gets the money. And you only say a blessing on an act that fulfills the mitzvah right then (Orchot Chaim 92). (That’s why you don’t say a blessing on building the Sukkah, since the mitzvah is completed only once you sit in it.)

But even if you’re giving money straight to the poor person, you still don’t say a blessing. Some have suggested that this is because of the possibility that the poor person will not accept the money, in which case, you would have said the blessing in vain (Aishel Avraham citing the Poskim).

A book said...

Posted by: Michael Makovi on Dec 01, 2005

Understanding Judaism by Rabbi Benjamin Blech, says that another reason is that we don't say brachot before mitzvot between human and human because the delay could be disastrous (eg: starving person dies while you say bracha over tzedaka), and that by ommitting the bracha, we testify to G-d that we won't let anything delay our doing a mitzvah to save or help another person, who may not be able to withstand the delay. In contrast, doing a mitzvah between you and G-d can wait for you to finish the bracha because G-d doesn't get hungry, physically hurt, etc., so He can wait as long as you can without danger to Him(assuming of course the mitzvah isn't time-based, eg saying Shema, in which case He isn't hurt, but you still can't take too long).

Blessing on Charity

Posted by: Anonymous on May 28, 2008

I once read the following reason:

A prerequisite for the Mitzvah of charity is the existence of a pauper. I.e. in order for us to be able to fulfill this Mitzvah it requires for someone else to be in NEED. And we don't want to make a blessing, thanking G-d, for making someone else poor.

Mitzvot » Charity

Sukkah
The temporary structure in which we are required to dwell for the duration of the holiday of Sukkot. The Sukkah must have at least three walls and its roof consists of unsecured branches, twigs or wooden slats.
Poskim
Authorities in Jewish law.