I know intermarriage is wrong, but how can I break up from the person I love?

Isn't it sexist that the laws of modesty apply only to women?

by Rabbi Tzvi Shapiro

Library » Women & Judaism » Modesty | Subscribe | What is RSS?

1. Modesty is about dignity, and dignity is desirable. The fact that the Torah is concerned abut a woman’s dignity can hardly be called sexist. To the contrary, if the Torah is not concerned about your dignity, you have reason to be concerned. That’s why:

2. Contrary to popular misconception, men must also abide by laws of modesty as described in the Code of Jewish Law.1.

3. It is true that some times the Mitzvah of modesty is difficult and may feel like a burden or a restriction, but the same is true with almost every other Mitzvah. The Torah's mandates are privileges and responsibilities. Ultimately it is a matter of perspective: am I burdened with the responsibility to dress a certain way, or am I privileged to have G-d apparent in my daily appearance.

• 1. See for example Kitzur Shulchan Aruch chapter 3

Daily Life » Clothing » Modesty