Is it true that that head covering is a custom, with no traceable roots?

Modesty and Convenience

Library » Women & Judaism » Modesty | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Bonnie: a few days ago when i was flying home from NY to LA. three Jewish religious girls were behind me and they kept complaining about how hot they were to each other and it made me wonder why in the world do girls/women have to wear high socks and long sleeves and skirts during summer? isnt that a little crazy/unfair?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: why? I am sure you are asking this because you felt bad for them seeing how hot they were, but do you really think one should throw away their values, laws and traditions just for a little comfort or convenience?

Bonnie: well no but shouldnt the laws adjust with the seasons for the wellbeing of its followers/

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: that is the same as throwing them away. You are saying the standards and values should change based on convenience -- now what kind of value is that in the first place.

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: if one must be dressed modestly, then it makes no difference how hot or cold it is.

Bonnie: hmm i guess it just seems a little hypocritical of the girls and unfair of the religion

Bonnie: but i guess its just hard for me to understand all that because im not religious

Bonnie: could you actually explain to me why they need to wear socks if they are already wearing long skirts?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: why does it seem hypocritical or unfair

Bonnie: well hypocritical for the girls because they were the ones complaining of being hot, but they did nothing to cool themselves off like take off clothes or something

Bonnie: and it just seems unfair to me for a religion to expect people to suffer in the heat of summer over modesty laws

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: I don't think that is hypcoritical. Many people complain when they have no power to change it. They knew there is nothing they can do, nonetheless they complained. Life is not always easy, but they knew what was right and wrong for them

Bonnie: i guess if you put it that way, then they are kind of respectable.

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: as for the religion -- well yes it is hard, but I woudnlt call it unfair. Is it unfair that in order to eat you must pay, and in order to get money to pay you must work etc.?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: sure it is hard to work and make money, but the system is just!

Bonnie: haha ok

Bonnie: that makes sense

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: The religion too is difficult at times, but it is very just -- it seeks to protect the honor and dignity of women by helping them remain modest and thus preventing them from becoming sex objects as many women in today's society have become

Bonnie: ok.. i kind of understand now.. thank you

Daily Life » Clothing » Modesty