Why is it that Moses counted only the male Jews?

What is the Torah source prohibiting premarital sex?

Library » Intimacy » Sexual Issues | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Latowicz: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...

Victor: I've searched through the Torah thoroughly and can't find a single prohibition of premarital sex with a single woman, especially if she's not a virgin. Why do orthodox Jews think there shouldn't be premarital sex

Rabbi Latowicz: hi

Rabbi Latowicz: Maimonides writes1 that non-marital intercourse falls under the Biblical prohibition of “there shall not be any promiscuous men among the Jewish people; nor shall there be any promiscuous women among the Jewish people” (Deut. 23:18)

Rabbi Latowicz: Nachmanides disagrees with this derivation, maintaining that the prohibition is implicit in the Biblical injunction “And the earth shall not be filled with immorality” (Lev. 19; 29).

Rabbi Latowicz: The Raavad, according to most authorities, deduces it directly from the command to marry. Implicit in the command to marry, he says, is a prohibition of all nonmarital intercourse. This is technichally referred to as an "Issur assei."

Rabbi Latowicz: a Biblical prohibition implicit in a positive commandment

Rabbi Latowicz: Most authorities seem to feel that Rashi concurs with this view. It seems clear that all authorities forbid nonmarital intercourse; the only dispute revolves about the precise biblical source

Rabbi Latowicz: I hope that helps

Victor: ohhhh I see

Victor: ok, well thank you, you've been a tremendous help

Rabbi Latowicz: very welcome:)

• 1. Maimonidies laws of Marriage (Ishut) 1:4

Commandments?

Posted by: Jinny, Houston, TX on Jun 07, 2005

I'm a Christian studying this site for my own education, and I was wondering if the Ten Commandments would cover this question under adultery?

The word "tin'af" used in the Ten Commandments is defined as adultery between a man and a married woman. No other immoral relationship is included in this prohibition.
Maimonides
Moses son of Maimon, born in Spain in 1135, died in Egypt in 1204. Noted philosopher and authority on Jewish law. Also was an accomplished physician and was the personal doctor for members of the Egyptian royalty. Interred in Tiberius, Israel.
Rashi
Acronym for Rabbi Shlomo Yitzchaki (1040-1105). Legendary French scholar who authored the fundemental and widely accepted "Rashi commentary" on the entire Bible and Talmud.