What happened on Yud Tet (the 19th of) Kislev?

Is it considered adultery for a married man to have an affair with an unmarried woman?

Library » Intimacy » Sexual Issues | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: Welcome to the Rabbi's one on one chat room, how can I help you today?

Larry: I need a definitive, up to date opinion: if a married man has sex with an unmarried woman, is that considered adultery on his part?

Larry: A female friend of mine has raised a problem which she has...

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: If by adultery you mean a capital crime for which the biblical punishment would be execution, the answer is no

Larry: No, I just wish to know if this is considered immoral.

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: yes, this is one of the most immoral acts

Larry: So therefore, this man who calls himself "Orthodox" is absolutely wrong in insisting that it's OK for him to have sex with an unmarried woman?

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: that is correct

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: he is misrepresenting the truth

Larry: I need one further clarification: what is the source material for what you say? I would like at least to cite something which contradicts him.

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: the Torah makes it a positive commandment that we should be married to the people wwith whom we have intercourse

Larry: So I understand!

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: one who sleeps with a woman though he is not married to her has transgressed this positive commandment

Larry: Thank you, Rabbi! I think that this should be sufficient for my purposes. You've been a great help. Shabbat shalom!

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: shabat shalom to you too

Rabbi Eliezer Gurkow: Thank you for visiting Ask Moses today and I invite you to come back at any time

[Ed. note: see also What is the Torah source prohibiting premarital sex?]