Why are Jacobs second two wives, Zilpah and Bilhah, not considered among the Matriarchs?

Does the verse "Let US create Man" prove the Christian concept of a Trinity?

Library » Philosophy » Creation | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Our sages teach us that when G-d created Man, he was concerned that the angels would be jealous, for Man is the only creation like them who understands right from wrong. So G-d consulted with the angels before creating Man and said, "Let us make Man." The lesson from this is that one should always seek advice, even from those who are inferior to you.

G-d consulted with the angels before creating Man and said, "Let us make Man." The lesson from this is that one should always seek advice, even from those who are inferior to you
The next verse immediately says (in singular form) "And G-d created Man..."

Nachmanides says that "Let us create Man," is referring to G-d and the Earth. For man is "In our image and form." Man consists of a body, which is in the image and form of earth; and a soul which is in the image and form of G-d.

[In Genesis 3:22, "us" is referring to G-d and the Heavenly Court.]

Let "Us" make man in "Our" image.

Posted by: Anonymous on Oct 25, 2004

I am very fascinated with everything I have been reading. My son is writing a report on Judaism/Christianity. I have never felt it necessary to study Judaism before, and I am glad this assignment came up. I just find it kind of funny that the author said that God consulted the angels on their opinion! Why would God, who is omnipotent, have to check in with a created being? He is: El Shaddai, Ancient of Days! He doesn't need anyone else!

Have to, or want to? G-d doesn't have to do anything, yet He wants to be a positive role model for His creations.

Hmm....

Posted by: Blake on Feb 17, 2005

I always figured that the plurals were like Elohim, they simply referred to G-d's majesty.

G-d consulting the angels

Posted by: Anonymous, Humble, TX on Jul 05, 2005

I read something before somewhere else that the reason Satan was cast down with his angels was that he refused to worship or didn't agree with G-d's creation. It was something to the effect that why should he submit or worship to someone who is later in the creation. Is this true? It doesn't seem to be now that I have read here that he consulted them. What then was his downfall?

Satan falling down is not part of Jewish tradition.

Plural vs. Singular

Posted by: Yerachmiel, Cleveland, Ohio, USA on Nov 20, 2005

You know there are some words that are seemingly singular/plural but are actually the opposite. For example, in Spanish sacapuntas (literally, "takes out points") is both the singular and plural form for "pencil sharpener". In English too, one may assume that anything ending in an "s" is plural. So then an abacus (used for counting) or names like Julius must also be plural right? Wrong. In Hebrew, though the suffix -him usually denotes plurality it is easy for anyone who knows Hebrew will know the real meaning of the word, just as anyone who knows Spanish will know about the sacapuntas.

Therefore, to say simply that it seems like a plural word and so it must refer to a "trinity" of sorts is simply impossible.

let us make man in our image

Posted by: Anonymous on Dec 11, 2005

I have read these verses in the Chumash and The Complete Jewish Bible, as well as in my own King James Version of the bible. My question is where is the part about ministering angels? Where is that written out? Or is it just interpreted? In the preceeding verses, it says nothing about ministering angels being created (only about the heavens and the earth). I am just curious if it is a particular accepted interpretation or if there is a part I'm missing where it is written out. Thanks for your time.

There is no discussion whatsoever in Genesis regarding the creation of the angels. According to Jewish tradition, they were created on the 2nd [or 5th] day of Creation.

Made in our image

Posted by: Fiona Nicholls, Australia on Feb 20, 2006

In another article you said that God was talking to the cosmos when he said "Let US make man in OUR IMAGE" now you are saying he was talking to the angels? Which one is it? If we were made in their image then why don't we have wings?

The Torah, G-d's infinite intellect, contains infinite TRUE meanings and explanations.

Found this interesting

Posted by: Anonymous, Johannesburg, South Africa on Aug 16, 2008

A while ago i was looking into the "let us create man verse", and recently read this in a book by Rabbi Twerski.

He says that G-d created us with the potential and capacity to become "a man" . He writes that "man is born incomplete and he must develop himself into the being he was intended to be" The Rabbi asks the question who is the "us" referring to in "let us make man" and why is this "us" only used in regards to the creation of man, and not with any other living thing? His answer is that "animals are created complete and do not need anything to become something other then they where created. Man however is an incomplete creature, and it was the divine intention that man work to develop himself into what he was intended to be.

So by using "us" God is saying to man " I am creating you with the potential and capacities to become what you should be, and you must do the rest. Man is it were, therefore participates in his own creation.

I really enjoyed this interpretation.

G-d » Creation
Jewish Identity » Non-Jews » Other Religions - Missionaries

Genesis
The first book of the Five Books of Moses. It records the story of Creation and its aftermath, and chronicles the lives of the Patriarchs.