How far am I allowed to walk on Shabbat?

When Is Moshiach Coming?

Library » Israel » Messiah | Subscribe | What is RSS?

The answer to this question actually depends on us. 

In his article "Date of Moshiach's Coming" Rabbi Jacob I. Schochet writes:

"The actual date of the Messianic redemption is a guarded mystery unknown to man. It will happen “in its time”, predetermined from the beginning of creation.1

"Even so, the wording of Isaiah 60:22 seems to display a contradiction by stating “in its time I will hasten it”: “in its time” means a set date; “I will hasten it” means that it may occur earlier, before “its time.”

The implication is clear: Moshiach can come any day, even before the predetermined date
"The contradiction is resolved [in the Talmud2] as follows: “If they are worthy — ‘I will hasten it;’ if not — ‘in its time.’

"The implication is clear: Moshiach can come any day, even before the predetermined date: “This day — if you will listen to His voice!”3 As stated, Moshiach is present in every generation, albeit concealed. He is ready to be revealed at a moment’s notice. In the course of history - prior to “its time” - there are especially auspicious times when it is easier to effect his coming. To take advantage of these, to hasten the redemption, that depends completely on us."

When a CNN cameraman held a video camera to the Lubavitcher Rebbe and asked if the Rebbe has a message for the world, the Rebbe said (then, as he did on numerous other occasions): "Moshiach is ready to come now, we all must only do something additional in the realm of goodness and kindness… if we do a little more Moshiach will come immediately".4

Let’s do our part.

(Rabbi Schochet's excerpts republished with permission from www.moshiach.com)

• 1. Isaiah 60:22.
  • 2. Talmud tractate Sanhedrin 98a
  • 3. Psalms 95:7.
  • 4. See video here http://www.chabad.org/multimedia/media_cdo/aid/132931/jewish/CNN-With-the-Rebbe.htm

Philosophy » Messiah

Moshiach
The Messiah. Moshiach is the person who will usher in an era of peace and tranquility for all of humanity when there will be no jealousy or hate, wars or famine. This is a fundamental Jewish belief.
Lubavitcher
One who follows the teachings of the Chassidic group which was formerly based in the Belarus village of Lubavitch. Today, the movement is based in Brooklyn, New York with branches worldwide. The Lubavitch movement is also widely known as "Chabad."
Jacob
Third of the three Patriarchs and father of the Twelve Tribes. Lived most his life in Canaan and died in Egypt in 1505 BCE. Also known by the name of "Israel."
Isaiah
1. One of the greatest prophets, lived in the 7th century BCE. 2. One of the 24 books of the Bible, containing the prophecies of Isaiah. The book is filled with prophecies concerning the Messianic redemption.