Why did Mordechai instruct Esther to conceal the fact that she was Jewish?

My enjoyments in life are discos, TV, and videos; Why would I want Moshiach?

Library » Israel » Messiah | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Disco, TV and videos are quite shallow forms of enjoyment. For example, when you finished watching a video, you don't feel like a million dollars, whereas when you finish doing a big favor for a needy person you feel great. Can you imagine feeling like that all the time?

It is a fact that meaningful, spiritual pleasure is more potent than physical pleasure - in every area of one's life. You mention that you like discos. Why? Because music plays on the emotions. The very same lyrics of a hit song, if said in monotone, wouldn't sell a single album. Music touches the emotions in a way that words cannot.

It is a fact that meaningful, spiritual pleasure is more potent than physical pleasure - in every area of one's life
We value friendship more than anything, we feel great when we have finally figured out some intellectual concept which we had difficulty grasping, and we value affection more than physical intimacy.

There is a reason why so many wealthy people - people who have everything they desire: mansions, vacations, sex, etc. - turn to religion to inject some meaning into their shallow lives.

The Era of Moshiach will usher in the ultimate pleasure - the pleasure of basking in G-dliness. Trying to comprehend what this is all about is like trying to explain colors to someone who is blind since birth. But one thing is certain: all other pleasures will pale in comparison to it. As the Rambam says "all delicacies will be like dust,"  for during the times of Moshiach our pleasures will be as plentiful as dust.

Philosophy » Messiah

Moshiach
The Messiah. Moshiach is the person who will usher in an era of peace and tranquility for all of humanity when there will be no jealousy or hate, wars or famine. This is a fundamental Jewish belief.
Rambam
Acronym for Rabbi Moshe ben Maimon, widely known as Maimonides. Born in Spain in 1135, died in Egypt in 1204. Noted philosopher and authority on Jewish law. Also was an accomplished physician and was the personal doctor for members of the Egyptian royalty. Interred in Tiberius, Israel.