How was it possible for Moses to speak to large groups with his speech impediment?

Am I allowed to take revenge against someone who has wronged me?

by Rabbi D. Dubov

Library » Jewish Identity » Love thy Neighbor | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Even if someone has wronged you, you should try to forgive them and certainly not take revenge. The Torah forbids not only revenge (Nekamah), but also bearing a grudge (Netirah).

For example, A says to B: “Lend me your pencil.” B replies: “No.”
Next day, B says to A: “Lend me your pencil.” A replies: “No, because you didn’t lend me yours.” That is Nekamah.

If A replies: “OK, I will lend you my pencil, I am not as mean as you are,” that is Netirah, bearing a grudge.

A should lend the pencil to B, forgive and forget.

This article is an excerpt from the book 'Key Jewish Facts!' by Rabbi Dovid Dubov. Click here to order the book online.

TAGS: revenge

Mitzvot » Love thy Neighbor