Why is G-d jealous of other gods?

How can I ask someone for forgiveness if I don't know where he lives now?

by Rabbi Simcha Bart

Library » Mitzvot » Repentance | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

How do you get forgiveness for a transgression against someone if you can't find the person, but you know you need to get their forgiveness?

Answer:

If it is impossible to contact this person, then you may make a strong resolution that you want to ask his/her forgiveness, and decide that when you meet this person you will actually do the asking. G-d considers this resolution as if you did ask forgiveness. (See Nitei Gavriel laws of Yom Kippur 17:5).

Mitzvot » Love thy Neighbor
Jewish Identity » Love thy Neighbor
Holidays » Yom Kippur » Repentance

Yom Kippur
Day of Atonement. This late-autumn high-holiday is the holiest day of the year. We devote this day to repentance and all healthy adults are required to fast.