If there is a fire in my house on Shabbat, can I extinguish it?

How do I repent for an accidental sin?

Library » Mitzvot » Repentance | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

I accidentally committed a sin. It was completely without thought and when I realized it I was crushed. What should I do? Am I in danger of punishment? How do I atone for this unintentional wrong?
Please help. DannyO

Answer:

Askmoses.com is not in a position to prescribe a personalized "Tikkun" (spiritual correction) for a wrongdoing. I can, and will, however give you general information.

1. To make a mistake is human. G-d created humans, and G-d understands accidents.

2. There are 4 general steps to Teshuvah: a. sincerely regret what you did (which you obviously already do). b. resolve to never do it again. c. ask G-d for forgiveness with the Tachanun/Vidui prayers. d. give charity (the more the better).

3. In addition to the above you should examine how you came to this mistake (i.e. the sinful item was around you, or you went somewhere that it was etc.) and take the necessary precautions that you shouldn't be in such a situation again in the future.

Holidays » Yom Kippur » Repentance
Mitzvot » Prohibitions

Teshuvah
Repentance. Or, more literally, "return" to G-d. Teshuvah involves regretting the past and making a firm resolution not to repeat the offense.
Tachanun
Sections of the prayers involving confession and asking for forgiveness. Tachanun is omitted from the prayers on the festive days of the Jewish calendar.