What is the origin of the phrase “David melech yisrael chai vikayam"?

Can I live according to my own convictions, within Jewish law?

Library » Mitzvot » Prohibitions | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Eliezer G: Welcome to the Rabbi's one on one chat room, how can I help you today?

7thday: Hi, this might sound like a funny question! but you know how according to Halachah we can use timers on Shabbat for electricity and lights etc.. If i don_t personally think that is right and i prefer to follow my conviction on the matter and just keep the lights on all shabbos, can i do that? do i have the freedom to decide?

Rabbi Eliezer G: absolutely - YES :-)

Rabbi Eliezer G: you may choose to keep them on all Shabbat

Rabbi Eliezer G: the only thing you may not do is claim that it is Halachically wrong to use a timer

Rabbi Eliezer G: in other words you may take on a custom for yourself by which you don't use timers

Rabbi Eliezer G: but you cannot claim that this is a higher Halachic standard

Rabbi Eliezer G: because it is perfectly legal halachically to use a timer on Shabbat

Rabbi Eliezer G: does this make any sense to you?

7thday: perfectly thank you, i was chatting to Karaites and they kept on saying that i cannot do what my conviction is in Orthodox Judaism also they said i cannot. Thank you for your answer now i know i can follow my convictions too

Rabbi Eliezer G: of course you can - as long as you don't proclaim your convictios to be the new standard of halachah

Rabbi Eliezer G: Thank you for visiting Ask Moses today and I invite you to come back at any time

Rabbi Eliezer G: have a BRIGHT and peaceful shabbat :-)

7thday: I understand of-course not they are only mine and thank you

7thday: you too Shabbat Shalom

Rabbi Eliezer G: your welcome

Mitzvot
Shabbat » Forbidden Activities

Halachah
Jewish Law. All halachah which is applicable today is found in the Code of Jewish Law.
Halachic
Pertaining to Jewish Law.
Halachically
According to Jewish law.