Is there free choice, or do we merely react to outside conditions?

What is the meaning of the name “Michal”?

by Rabbi Moshe Miller

Library » Life Cycle » Circumcision » Jewish names | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Mi-cha-el (Michael in English) means “Who is like G-d” – Mi = who; cha (gutteral ch- as in Chanukah) = like; E-l = G-d. I am not sure whether Michal is a similar compound word but it is possible.

However, Rabbi Menachem Azaria MiPano (or DeFano -- Italy) interprets the name as an acronym of the verse1Mi Yitencha K'ach Li” = If only You [G-d] could be like a brother to me.2 3

• 1. Song of Songs 8:1.
  • 2. Maamar Ma'ayan Ganim part 1 -- Likkutim by HaRema Mipano.
  • 3. Michal was also the daughter of King Saul and the wife of King David.

Michal

Posted by: Anonymous on Dec 29, 2006

If the name refers to Michal bat Shaul, then it means 'a small river', or stream.

Life Cycle » Birth » Jewish names