Why is the dating period so short amongst Orthodox Jews?

When do I wear Tefillin?

Library » Life Cycle » Bar/Bat Mitzvah » Tefillin | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Tefillin are supposed to be worn every weekday (Sunday through Friday) morning during Shacharit.

If one can't wear Tefillin in the morning or during Shacharit one may put them on anytime from about a half hour after dawn until sunset, and recite the Shema prayer. (For exact times for earliest Tefillin and sunset click here)

See also On which days of the year are Tefillin not worn? and Are Tefillin worn on Chol Hamoed? and Why aren't tefillin worn Tishah b'Av in the morning?.

Mitzvot » Tefillin

Tefillin
Black leather boxes containing small scrolls with passages of the Bible written on them. Every day, aside for Sabbath and Jewish holidays, the adult Jewish male is required to wrap the Tefillin--by means of black leather straps--around the weaker arm and atop the forehead.
Shacharit
Morning prayer service. One of the three prayers a Jew is obligated to pray every day.
Shema
The most fundamental Jewish prayer, recited twice daily. This prayer, of Biblical origin, professes the belief in G-d's absolute unity.