Can I use an electric Menorah for Chanukah?

What did Vashti do to deserve such a horrible fate?

by Rabbi Yossi Marcus

Library » Holidays » Purim » The Story | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Vashti (queen of Ahasuerus until he had her beheaded for refusing to appear at his feast) was not a great person, to put it mildly.

She was the granddaughter of Nebuchadnezzar, the man who destroyed the Jews’ Holy Temple and sent them into exile. She inherited her grandfather’s profound hatred for the Jews. On the Shabbat, she would summon Jewish children and force them to perform humiliating labor on their holy day of rest. That’s why she was punished on the seventh day of the feast, which was also the seventh day of the week, the Shabbat.

TAGS: vashti

Ahasuerus
King of the Persian Empire in the 4th century BCE. Husband of Esther, heroine of the Purim story.