Do I have to buy my son a present for finding the Afikoman?

Is it permitted to work on Purim?

by Rabbi Ari Shishler

Library » Holidays » Purim » The Laws | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Out of respect for the holiday, it is customary not to work on Purim.1

"Work" in this context is not the type of work prohibited on Shabbat (such as no driving, using the phone or turning on a light etc). rather in the Purim context it simply means avoiding doing business related work.

You may, however, do any work that is directly related to the Purim celebrations.

Ideally, and if possible, take the day off, share some Mishloach Manot with friends and gifts with the poor, hear the Megillah, and have a Purim party with your family.

Also see How is Purim celebrated?

• 1. Code of Jewish Law Orach Chaim 696:1.

Purim
A one-day holiday celebrated in late winter commemorating the miraculous deliverance of the Jewish people from a decree of annihilation issued by Persian King Ahasuerus in the year 356 BCE.
Megillah
A scroll. Usually a reference to the Book of Esther, one of the books of the "Written Torah", which is read--from a scroll--on the holiday of Purim.
Mishloach Manot
Gifts of food which every Jew is required to give to an acquaintance on the holiday of Purim.