What can I do to help our Israeli brethren in their difficult situation?

Is it permitted to visit the inside of the Temple Mount?

Library » Mitzvot » Holy Temple Mitzvot | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Since the Divine Presence is still present on the Temple Mount and the Temple area, all the laws prohibiting the ritually impure from accessing the Temple remain in effect. We all are presumed to be impure due to contact with corpses (either direct contact, being under the same roof, or the possibility of having trodden on an unknown grave), and therefore are barred from entering the Temple area. Although the actual Temple area doesn’t encompass the entire area of the Temple Mount, still, since we are uncertain of the exact location of the Temple area, most Rabbinic experts agree that it is forbidden to enter the entire walled area of the Temple Mount.

impurity an issue?

Posted by: Aaron on Jul 09, 2006

I'd like to mention that the Dome of the Rock is on top (and on the probable location of the kodesh hakodoshim).

And we are told not to go up because we are impure?

Correct.

Visiting the Dome of the Rock

Posted by: Anonymous on Dec 06, 2006

Regarding the above comment, are Muslims not allowed to visit the Dome of the Rock?

When the Temple stood, there were designated areas on the Temple Mount for non-Jewish spectators. There were areas that they were permitted to enter and areas that they were not. Nowadays, we do not know where these areas are, therefore, it is proper not to tread foot on any area on the Temple Mount that might be a suspected forbidden area. Today, Jews are not in enough control of the Temple Mount to limit its access and give the area the proper respect it is due.

History » The Holy Temples » Holy Temple Mitzvot
Israel » Holy Land