Are there any areas which a Kohen should avoid?

Where is it written that Adam was created on Rosh Hashanah?

by Rabbi Simcha Bart

Library » G-d » Creation | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

I understand that according to the Talmud, Rosh Hashanah is the birthday of Adam. Could you give me a particular reference
from the Talmud that states this and that also mentions from where the Sages received this insight.

Answer:

The Talmudic source about the world's creation in the month of Tishrei is Tractate Rosh Hashanah 10b-11a and on 27a, as well.

See also Sanhedrin 38b for a detailed breakdown hour by hour - as listed in our article What was the schedule of Adam and Eve's first day of existence?

The specific dates (and the abovementioned breakdown) of Adam and Eve being created on the 1st of Tishrei - i.e. Rosh Hashanah - can be found in Medrash VaYikrah Rabah beginning Parshah 29 (on Emor). This is also referenced in Tosafot on tractate Rosh Hashanah 8a entitled LiTkufot.

This is considered part of the Oral Tradition, though, as in many cases of the Oral Tradition, the Talmud supplies Scriptural support as well.

Torah » Mishnah and Talmud
Philosophy » Creation

Rosh Hashanah
The Jewish New Year. An early autumn two day holiday marking the creation of Adam and Eve. On this day we hear the blasts of the ram's horn and accept G-d's sovereignty upon ourselves and the world. On Rosh Hashanah we pray that G-d should grant us all a sweet New Year.
Tishrei
The seventh month of the Jewish calendar. This month, which arrives in early autumn, has more holidays than any other month: Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot and Simchat Torah.
Sanhedrin
The Jewish Supreme Court. The court would convene in a designated chamber in the Holy Temple, and was comprised of 71 of the greatest scholars of the time. Continued after the destruction of the Temples, but was dissolved in the 5th century when due to Roman persecution the seat of Torah scholarship relocated from Israel to Babylon.
Adam
The first man, created by G-d on the sixth day of creation. He was banished from the Garden of Eden after eating from the forbidden fruit of the forbidden knowledge. Died in 2830 BCE.