How and when do I use my Lulav set?

Which tribe are you?

Library » History » Exile | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Yossi Mandel: Hello. Please be patient, as I am chatting with more than 1 person. I'll be with you shortly.

abc: Do the jews of today know which tribe they came from?

abc: thanks

abc: msg 1

Rabbi Yossi Mandel: most do not, only the tribe of Levi and a few individual families1

abc: that's ok

abc: thank you sir

[Ed. note: Also read "Who were the Twelve Tribes?".]

• 1. The question for most Jews today is whether they are from the Tribe of Judah or Benjamin, since the other Tribes were lost. There are communities in Africa and India who claim to be from those lost tribes, but there isn't sufficient evidence to certify that is actually the case.

Jewish Identity

Levi
1. Name of Patriarch Jacob's third son. 2. A Levite -- a Jew who is a patrilineal descendant of Levi. Levites had special duties in the Holy Temple, and are still accorded special respect.