Why are there so many restful things which are prohibitted on Shabbat?

Is it permitted to neuter or spay a pet?

Library » Miscellaneous » Animals/Pets | Subscribe | What is RSS?

It is forbidden to spay or neuter any animal. The prohibition of castrating male animals is clearly stated in the Torah,1 "One whose testicles are squeezed, crushed, torn or cut, you shall not offer to G-d [as a sacrifice], nor should you do these [practices] in your land."

The rabbis forbade spaying a female animal too.

[Ed. note: Also read "Too many stray cats...I believe Torah's view on spaying and neutering should be changed?"]

• 1. Leviticus 22:24.