Why do we read the book of Ruth on Shavuot?

Is Ritual Slaughter Humane to Animals?

by Rabbi Shlomie Chein

Library » Miscellaneous » Animals/Pets | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

what is the reason we slaughter animals the way we do in Kosher law.  is it more humane?  I was told that the non-kosher way was to instantly stun and kill the animal, but to do it the kosher way you cut the animal's jugular and let it bleed to death.  Isn't that less humane?  It would still be alive for a bit before it bleeds out right?  Thank you...

Answer: 

1)    The primary reason why we slaughter animals the way we do is because that is the only way we have permission to do so. G-d, the Creator of all life, including the life of the animals, gave us permission to slaughter, and commanded that the life must be taken in this manner. Certainly, G-d who is commpassionate upon His creatures would instruct the most humane manner of slaughter.

2)    Ritual slaughter has also been widely described as the most humane way. The oxygen and blood flow are instantly cut from the animal's brain, rendering the animal immediately dead (even if it moves about afterwards, it is only natural and automatic reflexes, but the animal feels no pain because it is dead).

I am not a scientist, but I have heard from numerous people that slaughter may look more gruesome, and a bullet to the head appears neater, but the former is actually more humane than the latter.

Mitzvot » Kosher
Mitzvot » Kosher » About
Mitzvot » Kosher » Miscellaneous