Why do we give away food on Purim?

Is it ever permitted to lie?

Library » Daily Life » Business Issues | Subscribe | What is RSS?

According to Halachah it is permitted to "bend the truth" in order to perserve family harmony. G-d demonstrated this1 when He told Abraham "Why is it that Sarah laughed, saying, 'Shall I in truth bear a child, though I have aged?'" Actually, Sarah said,2 "After I have withered shall I again have delicate skin? And my husband is old!"

• 1. Genesis 18:13.
  • 2. Genesis 18:12.
TAGS: lie, fib

Philosophy » Character
Life Cycle » Marriage » Married Life

Halachah
Jewish Law. All halachah which is applicable today is found in the Code of Jewish Law.
Abraham
First Jew, and first of our three Patriarchs. Born into a pagan society in Mesepotamia in 1812 BCE, he discovered monethieism on his own. He was told by G-d to journey to the Land of Canaan where he and his wife Sarah would give birth to the Jewish People.
Sarah
First Jewess, first of the four Jewish Matriarchs, wife of Abraham--the first Jew. Lived in Mesopotamia, and then Canaan, in the 19th century BCE.