What is the Jewish view on anti depression (legal!) medication?

Is there a law in Judaism against obstructing justice?

by Rabbi Yossi Marcus

Library » Daily Life » Business Issues | Subscribe | What is RSS?

The Torah has many laws that fall loosely under the category of obstruction of justice. I hope I haven’t missed out any.

• It is forbidden to swear falsely.1

• It is forbidden to withhold testimony. If you know that Mr. X owes Mr. Y 100 dollars, you cannot say, “It’s none of my business; I’ll just stay home and relax.” You are obligated to go to court and tell the court what you know. You cannot plead the fifth.2

• It is forbidden to testify falsely.3 In certain cases, a false witness is punished with what he would have inflicted on his victim had his false testimony been accepted. (So if A testifies that I stole 100 dollars, he has to pay 100 dollars.)4

• A judge is forbidden to pervert the law.5

• A judge is obligated to judge justly.6

• A judge cannot be afraid of a bully or the mafia.7

• A judge cannot take a bribe. If he receives even the slightest favor from one of the parties he is disqualified from judging on that case.8

• A judge is forbidden to cheat for a poor person. (If Bill Gates and a guy on skid row come to court arguing over a hundred bucks, the judge must rule according to law. He cannot say: “Gates is right. But he won’t really miss a hundred dollars, while the other dude will be able to buy some food. So I’ll rule in the poor guy’s favor.” That’s a no-no.)9

• Conversely, the judge cannot say, “Bill Gates is a prestigious guy, why should I embarrass him by ruling against him?” The judge cannot tamper with the law to suit the sentiments of the individual parties.10

• A judge is not allowed to listen to one party without the presence of the other party.11

• 1. Exodus 20:7 Leviticus 19:12
  • 2. Leviticus 5:1
  • 3. Exodus 20:13
  • 4. Deuteronomy 19:19
  • 5. Deuteronomy 16:19
  • 6. Deuteronomy 16:18
  • 7. Deuteronomy 1:17
  • 8. Exodus 23:8
  • 9. Leviticus 19:15
  • 10. ibid
  • 11. Talmud tractate Sanhedrin 7b