Can you please define the punishment of Kareit (excision)?

When and why do we recite Psalm 27?

Library » Miscellaneous » The Jewish Calendar | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Psalm 27 is recited twice daily from the first day of Rosh Chodesh Elul through the Holiday of Sukkot1. (Not including Shmini Atzeret/Simchat Torah).

The Holidays of Tishrei are alluded to in this Psalm:

Rosh Hashanah is alluded to in the words (27:1) "G-d is my light," This is based on Psalms 89:16, "Praises to the people who know the Shofar's cry; G-d, by the illumination of Your countenance they should go."

Yom Kippur is alluded to in the words (27:1) "and my salvation." For on Yom Kippur G-d saves us from the prosecuting angels and inscribes us for a good, sweet and healthy year.

Sukkot is alluded to in the words (27:5) "for He shelters me in His Sukkah." 2

• 1. Kitzur 128:2. (Mishnah Berurah 581:2 brings this in the name of Achronim)
  • 2. Medrash Rabah Vayikrah 21:4

Holidays » Yom Kippur » The Prayers
Holidays » Rosh Hashanah » The Prayers

Rosh Hashanah
The Jewish New Year. An early autumn two day holiday marking the creation of Adam and Eve. On this day we hear the blasts of the ram's horn and accept G-d's sovereignty upon ourselves and the world. On Rosh Hashanah we pray that G-d should grant us all a sweet New Year.
Sukkot
A seven day autumn festival commemorating the miracle of the Heavenly Clouds which enveloped the Jews while traveling in the desert for forty years. On this holiday we dwell in makeshift booths and shake the Four Species.
Tishrei
The seventh month of the Jewish calendar. This month, which arrives in early autumn, has more holidays than any other month: Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot and Simchat Torah.
Yom Kippur
Day of Atonement. This late-autumn high-holiday is the holiest day of the year. We devote this day to repentance and all healthy adults are required to fast.
Sukkah
The temporary structure in which we are required to dwell for the duration of the holiday of Sukkot. The Sukkah must have at least three walls and its roof consists of unsecured branches, twigs or wooden slats.
Shofar
The horn of a Kosher animal. The Shofar is sounded on the holiday of Rosh Hashanah, and is intended to awaken us to repentance. Also blown to signify the conclusion of the Yom Kippur holiday.
Rosh Chodesh
The "Head of the Month," Rosh Chodesh is observed the first day of every Jewish month. If the previous month had 30 days, then the last day of the previous month is also observed; hence a two-day Rosh Chodesh. Rosh Chodesh is a semi-holiday, marked by Torah-reading and special prayers.
Shmini Atzeret
A joyous one-day autumn festival immediately following the holiday of Sukkot. Outside Israel this holiday is celebrated for two days, the second day is known as Simchat Torah.
Elul
The 6th month on the Jewish calendar, normally corresponding to August-September. This is the month which precedes Tishrei, the month of the High Holidays, and is a month of introspection and repentance.
Psalms
The Book of Psalms. One of the 24 books of the Bible. Compiled by King David; mostly comprised of poetic praise for G-d. A large part of our prayers are culled from this book.