Can I drink soy milk at a meal with meat?

Can a pregnant woman attend a funeral?

Library » Life Cycle » Death » Burial/Cemetery | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Eliezer G: Welcome to the Rabbi's one on one chat room, how can I help you today?

soontobemom: are there rules around pregnant women attending a funeral?

Rabbi Eliezer G: yes

soontobemom: my wife is a teacher in xxxx... she was asked to attend a "wake" I suppose you would call it.. .for a student

Rabbi Eliezer G: a pregnant woman - a woman with life burgeoning in her womb - should not be surrounded by death, such as at a funeral or in a cemetery

Rabbi Eliezer G: this is not a prohibition; just a tradition based on sound tradition and Kabbalistic reasons*

soontobemom: she's conflicted because she hasn't told those at her school that she's pregnant

Rabbi Eliezer G: if it will cause her much anguish to be denied, she may enter

Rabbi Eliezer G: since she can cause her fetus more damage through her anguish then through the presence of death

soontobemom: ok

Rabbi Eliezer G: but when she considers the reasons for this tradition she herself may become its greatest advocate

Rabbi Eliezer G: that depends on her, but the reasons ought to be presented to her so that she has a chance to make an informed choice

soontobemom: wow... thank you for the help... this is an amazing service...

Rabbi Eliezer G: your welcome

Rabbi Eliezer G: Thank you for visiting Ask Moses today and I invite you to come back at any time

*Ed. note: Askmoses.com offers general Jewish information, and does not issue Halachic rulings. To find out if this custom is practiced in your community speak to a local Rov.

Halachic
Pertaining to Jewish Law.
Kabbalistic
(adj.) Pertaining to Kabbalah—Jewish mysticism.