I am interested in observing Shabbat. Where do I start?

Why I should take my prayers seriously?

Library » Daily Life » Prayer | Subscribe | What is RSS?

On a simple level, the Torah commands us to ask G-d for all our needs.

For instance, if someone is, G-d forbid, sick, G-d commands us to pray to Him for a complete recovery. If we don't ask G-d for whatever we need, it is possible to forget where everything comes from. We would just go to the doctor and think that the cure came from the medicine that was prescribed. When a person is used to asking G-d for help, he is actually carving into his mind the concept that G-d runs the world and, therefore, whenever there is a problem, He is the first – and most important one - to turn to.

If there was something that you really wanted, and there was only one person who could grant it to you, you would think over, beforehand, very carefully how to approach that person with your request. And you certainly would do everything to make sure that the person understands how sincere you are and how much you would appreciate the favor. Well that's what prayer is all about.

everyone "believes" that G-d runs the world, but someone who prays earnestly is demonstrating that this belief isn't abstract, but is very real
We have to realize that the only one who could fulfill all our wishes - whether that means helping us study well for the next final, or giving us the money to by that coat you really want - is G-d. And we are lucky enough that he actually listens to our request three times a day! If you think into this, I don't think you will have a problem taking prayer seriously.
Basically, everyone "believes" that G-d runs the world, but someone who prays earnestly is demonstrating that this belief isn't abstract, but is very real.

On a deeper level, the word "Tefillah" (prayer) comes from the word "tofel," which means to connect. Davening is the one time of the day when we get to forget about everything else that's going on and connect with G-d.

Chassidut compares davening to a ladder. Every part of davening is another rung leading to G-d. How beautiful it is to have a time every day when we can leave behind all our worries, troubles and concerns and connect with our soul and ponder our special relationship with G-d.

The time of davening is intended to be savored, as King David says "One thing I have asked of G-d, this I seek: that I may dwell in the house of G-d all the days of my life, to behold the pleasantness of G-d, and to visit His sanctuary!"

Mitzvot » Prayer » About

Chassidut
The teachings of the Chassidic masters. Chassidut takes mystical concepts such as G-d, the soul, and Torah, and makes them understandable, applicable and practical.
Tefillah
Prayer. The Jewish Sages instituted three daily prayers, and an additional prayer on the Sabbath and Jewish holidays.
David
King of Israel who succeeded Saul, becoming king of Israel in 876 BCE. Originally a shepherd, he became popular after he killed the Philistine strongman, Goliath. He is the progenitor of the Davidic royal dynasty -- which will return to the throne with the arrival of King Messiah.
Davening
(Yiddish) Praying.