What is Gebrokts and what's it got to do with not eating Matzah Balls?

Why are most synagogues and temples named Beth.......?

Library » Daily Life » Prayer | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Gurkow: Welcome to the Rabbi's one on one chat room, what's on your mind today?

Sherlock: Names of temples. Why are most of them named Beth?

Rabbi Gurkow: beth means house

Rabbi Gurkow: the temples are named "house of..."

Sherlock: Thank you, I had no idea that was what meant

Rabbi Gurkow: each Temple chooses their own name

Rabbi Gurkow: such as house of prayer, house of G-d etc.

Sherlock: That makes more sense to me now

Rabbi Gurkow: but in truth many temples are not named beth at all

Rabbi Gurkow: such as the shomrei emunim, the shomer shabbos etc etc etc

Sherlock: Is beth yiddush or hebrew?

Rabbi Gurkow: anglicised hebrew :-)

Rabbi Gurkow: in hebrew in would really be Bet (in Sephardic pronunciation) or Beis (in Ashkenazic pronunciation)

Sherlock: That is why I have never heard of it.

Rabbi Gurkow: perhaps

Sherlock: Thank you.

Mitzvot » Prayer » Synagogue

Sephardic
(adj.) A Jew whose ancestors stem from Southern Italy, Spain, Portugal, North Africa or the Arabian countries.