How far am I allowed to walk on Shabbat?

Which prayers are most important to be recited in Hebrew?

Library » Daily Life » Prayer | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

I am fairly new to praying in Hebrew but I have been trying to pray Shacharit every day. Unfortunately, my Hebrew is still pretty fundamental and trying to do the entire thing takes me well over two hours. Is there a way that I could select prayers in order of importance to add to the Shema and the Amidah so that as my Hebrew improves with practice, more parts can be added?

Answer:

Your plan is very sensible. Here is a suggested order of prayers you can slowly add:

1) The blessings before and after the Shema.

2) Hodu, Baruch She'amar, Ashrei, The last Haleluyah (the small one), Yishtabach.

3) The prayers in between the abovementioned sections (a.k.a. Pisukei D'zimra).

4) Ashrei and Uva L'tzion after the amidah.

5) Song of the Day, Ein Kelokeinu, Aleinu.

6) The remainder of the prayers after the Amidah.

7) The karbanot (sacrifices) section before Hodu. First the Eizehu Mekomon section, and then the ones beforehand.

You can also say the other prayers in English while your Hebrew is improving. See Is it preferable to pray in Hebrew, even if the words are not understood?

Mitzvot » Prayer » Laws and Customs
Miscellaneous » Hebrew / Languages » Hebrew

Amidah
Highlight of every prayer, recited silently while standing. Weekday Amidah consists of nineteen blessings, Sabbath and holiday Amidah contains seven blessings.
Shacharit
Morning prayer service. One of the three prayers a Jew is obligated to pray every day.
Shema
The most fundamental Jewish prayer, recited twice daily. This prayer, of Biblical origin, professes the belief in G-d's absolute unity.