Why do many religious Jews dress only in black?

Why is the Shema more important then many other prayers?

Library » Daily Life » Prayer | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rachel: the Shema

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: go ahead with yor question

Rachel: hi there again

Rachel: so i got a lot of information on this site that was very useful but i wanted to see what a rabbi would say on why this prayer is most important above mnay others

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: I think that is mentioned on our knowledgebase as well

Rachel: ya... but not a personal opinion

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: Shema is so important because it talks about the very core of G-d, us, and our relationship.

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: It is also a prayer to G-d written BY G-d, unlike most other prayers which are prayers to G-d but written by humans

Rachel: thank you soo much and would you mind if i quote u in a speech i want to give in my classroom??

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: you can if you wish :-)

Rachel: thank you

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: you're welcome

Mitzvot » Prayer » About

Shema
The most fundamental Jewish prayer, recited twice daily. This prayer, of Biblical origin, professes the belief in G-d's absolute unity.