How did the Patriarchs observe the Torah before it was given at Sinai?

Should I pray even if I think foreign thoughts during prayer?

Library » Daily Life » Prayer | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Talia: Hi, i have an issue i would like to ask you about that i am too embarrased to discuss with my own rabbi

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: ok

Talia: i've been Davening now for a few years...

Talia: i try to concentrate, but bad thoughts just push their way through my mind when i'm trying to Daven

Talia: sometimes these thoughts are waht i think disrespectful and i hate having them when i daven

Talia: is it better not to daven if i have these thoughts?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: almost everyone has foreign/bad thoughts when they daven!

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: You are not alone

Talia: so its like these thoughts just obsessively come to my mind when i'm davening...

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: as a matter of fact it is said that the more you are bombarded with such thoughts that means the more valuable your prayer

Talia: haha really?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: when your prayer is so appreciated in heaven the satan tries to distract it with bad thoughts

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: the better the prayer, the harder he tries to distract it

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: so don't be dimayed - when you have a bad thought remind yourself of how important your prayer is and just move on

Talia: wow that is great news : )

Talia: thanks!

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: all the best

Talia: is there any tool i can use to concentrate better, by the way?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: it just takes work and patience

Talia: ok, thanks!

Mitzvot » Prayer » I'd love to pray, but...

Daven
(Yiddish) Pray.
Davening
(Yiddish) Praying.