Why do people throw sweets at the groom on the Shabbat before his wedding?

Why do we take three steps back when we say "Oseh Shalom..." to conclude the kaddish?

Library » Daily Life » Prayer | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Gurary: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...

Debra: Why do we step back and turn our body to both sides when we say Oseh Shalom during the Kaddish?

Rabbi Gurary: There is a whole set of movements -- different bows and head movements -- ideally done during Kaddish, all based on mystical concepts. but the last one, during Oseh Shalom is actually quite simple, and is also done at the end of the Amidah. It's a way of officially 'taking leave' of the presence of G-d.

Rabbi Gurary: it is respectful to take leave of a king while backing up, so as not to disrespectfully turn one's back to the king. we then bow to each side and say good bye!

Debra: I once heard a different explanation. That we step back to figuratively see shalom being spread on the people/Eretz Yisrael. Does this sound at all accurate?

Rabbi Gurary: Haven't heard this before. But that does not mean it isn't true

Debra: I like yours better. Thanks for your help.

Rabbi Gurary: You're welcome .... let there be peace for all!

[Ed. note: see also Why do we bow left, right, forward after the Amidah?]

Mitzvot » Prayer » Laws and Customs

Amidah
Highlight of every prayer, recited silently while standing. Weekday Amidah consists of nineteen blessings, Sabbath and holiday Amidah contains seven blessings.
Kaddish
A prayer sanctifying G-d's name which is sprinkled throughout the daily prayers and is recited by the leader of the services. This prayer is also recited by mourners during the first year of mourning, and on the anniversary of the death.