Did Esther write The Scroll of Esther?

What do I do if I feel as if my prayers are not ascending to Heaven?

by Rabbi Simcha Bart

Library » Daily Life » Prayer | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Let me first ask you a question -- how does one feel if their prayers do reach Heaven?

Let me explain by way of an analogy:

When you send an email, do you know if it has reached the intended inbox? No, you can't know -- because you are on the sending, not on the receiving, end.

So how do you insure that your email reaches its proper addressee? Well, first you must be certain that you're logged on to the internet. Then you check to see that your email program is functioning properly, and you type the address carefully, checking for any errors before you hit the send button. You then rely on your ISP to do its job by getting the email to its intended recipient.

First you must be certain that you're logged on to the internet
Same is true with our prayers. We first need to be certain that our mind is hooked up to the right place. Then we bring our heart along by saying the words carefully with concentration and love. The rest is up to G-d (whose reliability rating surpasses that of the most dependable ISP...)!

Mitzvot » Prayer » About