What are the Four Sons?

Is praying at a gravesite like idolatry?

Library » Daily Life » Prayer | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Yosef L: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...what's on your mind

GraveMatter: Why do we pray at a Tzadeks gravesite, or at Rachels gravesite?

Rabbi Yosef L: it is an old custom to pray at a Tzaddiks gravesite

GraveMatter: We are supposed to pray directly to Hashem. Isn't praying at a gravesite a step or two away from idol worship?

Rabbi Yosef L: no, we are not praying TO the Tzadik; we are praying to Hashem, but we are asking the Tzadik's soul to interced on our behalf, sort of like a defense attorney. We know the judge is the one doing the sentencing, but the attorney can hopefully put our case in better words

GraveMatter: Are one's prayers said at a gravesite heard better, or is it just a different path?

Rabbi Yosef L: who would present your case better, you or an accomplished attorney?

GraveMatter: To use the Attorney example, sometimes the passion and heart-felt thoughts of an individual can be more convincing than the greatest Attorney.

Rabbi Yosef L: we rarely see people not use an attorney

GraveMatter: This is true. I thank you for guidance in this matter.

Rabbi Yosef L: did I indeed answer ypur question

Rabbi Yosef L: you can say no

GraveMatter: Actually, you did. If I didn't think you answered my question, I would have no hesitation to say so.

Rabbi Yosef L: thanks, over a chat it is sometimes hard to tell

GraveMatter: Yes. The internet created a level of separation.

Rabbi Yosef L: yes it did

Rabbi Yosef L: but that is sometimes an advantage as people are not embarassed to ask questions

Rabbi Yosef L: they would otherwise never ask face to face

GraveMatter: That is true.

GraveMatter: The fact that I can get a question like this answered at 12:17 AM (I am in the NY area) is terrific and greatly appreciated.

Rabbi Yosef L: thanks

Rabbi Yosef L: come any time

Rabbi Yosef L: we are here 24/6

Rabbi Yosef L: even Moses rested on Shabbat

GraveMatter: Yes. Thank you for your answer, and a nice chat.

Rabbi Yosef L: thanks

Mitzvot » Prayer
Mitzvot » Prohibitions
Mitzvot » Prayer » About
Mitzvot » Prayer » Laws and Customs

Hashem
"The Name." Out of respect, we do not explicitly mention G-d's name, unless in the course of prayer. Instead, "Hashem" is substituted.
Tzadik
(fem. Tzidkanit; pl. Tzadikim). A saint, or righteous person.