Do you have a good recipe for Cholent?

I am depressed because I didn't pray properly today...

Library » Daily Life » Prayer | Subscribe | What is RSS?

This specific problem is precisely addressed by the Alter Rebbe (Tanya, end of Ch. 26).

The fact that you are feeling bad and depressed about today's Davening is a trick of the animal soul! This is a tactic of the Nefesh HaBehamis who wants to get you to feel down and doesn't care how it accomplishes this goal. It will even use "spiritual" reasons to get you demoralized.

Feeling bad and depressed about today's davening is a trick of the animal soul!
When these thoughts creep into your mind, tell yourself that now isn't the time to think such thoughts. At night when you say Krias Shema, then it is appropriate to think about it (and anything else that you might have done wrong today), feel remorseful, ask Hashem for forgiveness and resolve to be better.

Then you can go to sleep happily, knowing that Hashem has forgiven you!

TAGS: depression

Mitzvot » Prayer

Tanya
Foundation text of Chabad chassidism. Authored by Rabbi Schneur Zalman of Liadi, founder of the Chabad movement, and first published in 1796. Considered to be the "Bible" of Chassidism.
Hashem
"The Name." Out of respect, we do not explicitly mention G-d's name, unless in the course of prayer. Instead, "Hashem" is substituted.
Shema
The most fundamental Jewish prayer, recited twice daily. This prayer, of Biblical origin, professes the belief in G-d's absolute unity.
Davening
(Yiddish) Praying.